- Item 24011 - Louisburg Hotel, Bar Harbor, 1920
- Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
- Item 24011
- 1637px x 1047px - 5.5"w x 3.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Jesup Memorial Library
Originally this lot on the south side of Atlantic Avenue was the location of the Atlantic House, built in 1870 by J. Douglas. The Atlantic House burned down and a year later a new Atlantic House (shown) was built in the modern French style. In 1887 it was purchased by Miss M. L. Balch. She named it Louisburg after Louisburg Square in Boston, MA. A tennis court and music room were added. In 1911 Miss Balch died and the hotel was leased to J. A. Sherrad and on a separate occasion L. C. Prior. In 1916 Misses Healey from Saratoga Springs ran the hotel. In 1921 the Lafayette Hotel Corporation bought the hotel renaming it Lorraine and kept it running until 1939. The hotel was demolished and the property was made into house lots.Show Details