- Item 23980 - Pownal State School band, ca. 1955
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 23980
- 4895px x 3036px - 16.3"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
A band made up of residents of the Pownal State School in New Gloucester. The band appeared to be dressed for a holiday celebration, possibly July 4.Show Details
The photograph is part of an album belonging to Richard Turcotte, who lived at the facility from 1925 until the 1950s.
The institution opened in 1908 as the Maine School for the Feeble-Minded. The name was changed to Pownal State School in 1925, to Pineland Hospital and Training Center in 1957, and to Pineland Center in 1973.
It closed in 1996.