- Item 23667 - Children showing toys, Maine School of the Deaf, 1925
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 23667
- 4405px x 3393px - 14.7"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
A primary class at the Maine School of the Deaf (later known as the Governor Baxter School for the Deaf) during what appears to be the 1925 version of "Show and Tell."Show Details
The school, founded in 1894, was located at 85 Spring St. in downtown Portland. Thomas Hill, former president of Harvard College, founded the school along with Frederick Fox, a Portland lawyer.
The residential school stressed lip-reading and speech.
Since 2001, it is known as the Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The building on Mackworth Island however, is still legally called the Governor Baxter School for the Deaf.