- Item 23422 - Portland Head Light, Cape Elizabeth, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 23422
- 4376px x 3280px - 14.6"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Portland Head Light was commissioned by President George Washington.Show Details
In 1791 construction began and since then many modifications have taken place. The height of the light tower has been modified up and down, and the outbuildings have changed with the times.
The early bell tower has been replaced by a building housing the Daboll trumpet foghorn, shown to the right of the lighthouse.