- Item 23340 - Plan of Cushings Island, ca. 1888
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 23340
- 4972px x 3047px - 16.6"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Lemuel Cushing planned to turn this island into a summer resort and built the Ottawa House hotel there.Show Details
Lemuel's son, Francis Cushing, formed the Cushing's Island Company in 1883 and hired Frederick Law Olmsted and Charles Eliot to design a summer resort.
The first Ottawa House was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1888. The second Ottawa House burned down in 1917 and was not rebuilt.
The US Army began acquiring land on the island in the 1890s to build Fort Levett.