- Item 22828 - A Train at Springvale Depot, Sanford, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 22828
- 4462px x 3364px - 14.9"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
The small cars on this train are possibly carrying ballast which was dug on railroad-owned property in the vicinity of Springvale depot in Sanford. Sanford had passenger and freight service for more than sixty years but only freight service after 1932. At one time the famous Knickerbocker from New York to Bar Harbor passed through Sanford. In 1949 Samuel Pinsley bought the Portland to Rochester line and named in Sanford and Eastern. Three years later he discontinued freight service to Rochester and in 1961 shut down the road completely. The closing of the Goodall mills was a major factor in the railroad's demise. Most of the new industries in Sanford were using trucks by the 1960s to handle freight.Show Details