- Item 22824 - Springvale Village, looking north from Square, ca. 1895
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 22824
- 4455px x 3376px - 14.8"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
Main Street is on the left and Bridge Street on the right in this photograph of Springvale Village taken sometime between 1893 when the trolley line opened and 1897 when H. B. Rowe's store and the house next to it on Bridge Street were replaced by the Dirigo Block.Show Details
Hiram B. Rowe's store sold groceries and a variety of other items including dry goods and wallpaper, according to the sign. The small house next to it on Main Street was the home of Betsey Smith, known affectionately in the community as "Aunt Betsey."
The Bridge Street house between H. B. Rowe's store and the three story Fogg Block was known as the Dr. Nahum Hersom house. Dr. Hersom, a native of Lebanon, was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the 20th Maine in 1862 and subsequently became Chief Surgeon of the 17th Maine and officer in charge of the field hospital.