- Item 22155 - Old Edison School pupils, Springvale, ca. 1905
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 22155
- 4415px x 3398px - 14.7"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
"At one time Sanford had small elementary schools, mostly one room school houses, in as many as eighteen school districts. One was built at Butler's Corner in the early 1840s. It was located on the west side of route 109 where the gasoline station is situated today. This photograph was taken next to the large boulder just north of the school. The lone boy in the back row must have felt greatly outnumbered by his nine female classmates. As transportation became easier the outlying schools were gradually clsoed and children in the Springvale area were assigned to the Lincoln School where they could be graded into classes by age. The old Edison School was sold in 1919, moved north of its original site and converted into a home." - "Villages on the Mousam, Sanford and Springvale, Maine" - by Harland EastmanShow Details