- Item 22056 - Hotel Brown, Main Street, Springvale
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 22056
- 4317px x 3476px - 14.4"w x 11.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
The Brown Hotel stood at the corner of Main and Oak Streets where Key Bank was located in 2006. Erected sometime between 1864 and 1867 by Samuel D. Tebbets, it originally had a gable roof which was replaced in 1881 by the gambrel roof seen in this photograph. Mr. Tebbets operated the hotel until 1887 when the Brown family took it over and ran it as Hotel Brown for the next six years. Thereafter, until its destruction in the 1905 fire, the building was at times a hotel and at times a rooming house. The first occupant of the corner store was Albert Crooker, Springvale's first druggist. It was G.W. Shaw Pharmacy when this photograph was taken. The pharmacy was also Byron Moulton's at one time. A. F. Hilton occupied the ground floor to the right. That same store front was also once Allen and Emery (dry goods). The sign on Oak Street at the end of the hotel reads "Livery and Feed Stable." Just beyond that sign is another that advertises "Carriage Painting." The pharmacist prominently advertised in the front of the building is H. N. Nelson. The ad for "Pond's Extract" promotes the popular variation of witch hazel that was a "cure all." Note the man tipping his hat and the woman sitting on the second floor.Show Details