- Item 21710 - Shapleigh Tavern, Sanford, ca. 1890s
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 21710
- 4321px x 3476px - 14.4"w x 11.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
"James B. Shapleigh built this house about 1827-28 and operated a tavern here for several years. In 1849 it became the home of the Tebbetts family and remained their home until 1919. Their bakery business was next door.Show Details
Both buildings were sold in 1919 to William Batchelder who constructed the Sanford Garage on the site. The garage, much remodeled, [was] the Village Shoppes mini mall in 2006. [For many years] the Sanford branch of Key Bank occupied the approximate site of the Shapleigh Tavern." -- "Backward Glance" by Harland Eastman