- Item 21415 - Spite House on Its Way to Rockport, 1925
- Contributed by Camden Public Library
- Item 21415
- 3450px x 2186px - 11.5"w x 7.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Camden Public Library
A large colonial mansion, known as "Spite House," was loaded on a railroad lighter at Phippsburg Center to be transported 85 miles to Rockport on July 26, 1925.Show Details
The 119-year-old mansion had been sold to Donald D. Dodge of Philadelphia, who wanted it located in the summer colony of Rockport. It took three hours to load it onto the lighter and then was delivered the same day.
Ambrose C. Cramer, Historic Buildings Preservation Officer of The American Institute of Architects, calls Spite House and the Kavanagh Mansion at Damariscotta Mills "the two finest examples in Maine of residential architecture in the Federal style."