- Item 21337 - Fire in Porell's Store, Sanford, March 19, 1896
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 21337
- 4579px x 3285px - 15.3"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
This photograph was taken by Charles Spinney as he was standing on Main St. facing north toward the intersection of Lebanon St. Porell's Store was built at the corner of Main and Lebanon Streets in 1889 or 1890. Mr. Porell sold groceries and a general line of merchandise and continued in business until 1902. He was succeeded by Alfred Bachand. The property was purchased by the Unitarian Church in 1915 and the building moved to Winter Street soon after to make way for the new church building. The 1896 fire destroyed only part of the building and it was soon repaired.Show Details