- Item 20347 - New Sweden Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church, ca. 1938
- Contributed by New Sweden Historical Society
- Item 20347
- 3100px x 4763px - 10.3"w x 15.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of New Sweden Historical Society
The New Sweden Lutheran Church was formed in 1871, one short year after the founding of New Sweden in 1870. Joining to form the First Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of New Sweden were 61 men, 51 women and 109 children under the leadership of Pastor Andrew Wiren.Show Details
The first church home was in the original building which housed the New Sweden Historical Museum. This building burned in 1970 with a replica being built on the same site a few years latter. The original altar rail was saved and is currently on the second floor.
On August 16, 1874 the Church Constitution was adopted with 67 members signing the document. At this point members of the Board of Directors began to look for a suitable lot upon which a permanent church could be constructed. A lot on Capitol Hill Road was found and construction began.
The church bell was a direct gift from W.W. Thomas, the founder of the Swedish Colony and dedicated July 23, 1880.
In July, 1896 the name Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church was adopted replacing the original name, The First Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
This history is taken from the Gustaf Adolf Evangelical Lutheran Church 90th Anniversary program 1871 - 1961.