- Item 20342 - Swedish Baptist Church of New Sweden, ca. 1938
- Contributed by New Sweden Historical Society
- Item 20342
- 4573px x 3000px - 15.2"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of New Sweden Historical Society
The first Swedish Baptist Church of New Sweden, Maine was organized the 4th day of March in 1871 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Nels Olson by eight members. who were as follows: Mr. Nels Olson, Mrs. Elna Olson, Mr. Truls Person, Mrs. Elna Person, Mr. Mons Munson, Mr. Per Person, Mrs. Sissa Monson, and Mrs. Karna Person.Show Details
Mr. Nels Olson was one of the leading men of this new colony and became the first leader of this organized church. At the close of the first year, the church membership and reached sixty-four.
Early in the fall of 1881 the church bought 1/4 of an acre of land from Mr. Nels Olson for the purpose of erecting a house of worship. It was completed by late 1881, but by 1890 as the church began to grow and develop it had become too small and the present day church in the photo was begun. On August 27, 1892 the church was dedicated.
In 1895 the original was remodeled into the parsonage.