Item 19179 - Entrance to Hauterive, Bar Harbor, ca. 1899
- Item 19179 - Entrance to Hauterive, Bar Harbor, ca. 1899
- Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
- Item 19179
- 4777px x 2924px - 15.9"w x 9.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Jesup Memorial Library
In 1881, William Ralph Emerson designed the first of two shingle-style cottages (the second in 1886) located at what was then called Edenfield. The cottages were designed for Samuel E. Lyons and his son-in-law General William A. Smith. The property was sold to Mrs. Carpenter in 1899. One of the cottages was redesigned by Andrews, Jacques & Rantoul in the Tudor revival style and then renamed by Mrs. Carpenter as Hauterive because of its position overlooking Frenchman Bay.Show Details