- Item 18384 - Dominican Block, Lewiston, ca. 1883
- Contributed by Franco-American Collection
- Item 18384
- 3812px x 5408px - 12.7"w x 18.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Franco-American Collection
The Dominican Block at Lincoln and Chestnut streets included classrooms on the second and third floors, retail space on the first floor, and a large community room on the fourth floor.Show Details
The building opened in January 1883. The local English-language press labeled the building "Canadian City Hall."
Note the nuns at the windows. These are the Sisters of Charity of Ste Hyacinthe, Quebec. Also known as the 'Grey Nuns', their religious beliefs prohibited them from posing for the photograph.