- Item 16711 - The Marble Works, Sanford, ca 1900
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 16711
- 4701px x 3123px - 15.7"w x 10.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
This business was located in what is now the Mid-town Mall parking lot about the opposite of the Congregational Church. It did not front Main Street but was behind the Main Street shops. John Craughwell, the owner, may be the man standing in the doorway. After the small shops on Main Street were replaced by the Fogg Block in 1906, the marble works were moved to Wentworth Street (later renamed St. Ignatius Street) opposite the site of the present day St. Ignatius Church. The business was taken over about 1918 by Elmer H. Hobbs.Show Details