- Item 16690 - The Shapleigh Tavern, Sanford, ca 1909
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 16690
- 4326px x 3414px - 14.4"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
James B. Shapleigh built this house about 1827-28 and operated a tavern here for several years. In 1848 it became the home of the Tebbetts family and remained their home until 1919. Their bakery business was next door. Both buildings were sold in 1919 to William Bachelder who constructed the Sanford Garage on the site. The garage, much remodeled, had become the Village Shoppes mini-mall by the 1990s. The Sanford branch of the Key Bank in the 1990s occupied the approximate site of the Shapleigh Tavern. The lady in the foreground is Thirzah Tebbetts Beattie. The house to the left was an Emery home. It was moved there in the 1930s to Berwick Ave. where it became the home of George Willard.Show Details