Item 16275 - Leavit Block, Washington & School Streets, Sanford, ca 1920
- Item 16275 - Leavit Block, Washington & School Streets, Sanford, ca 1920
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 16275
- 4768px x 3080px - 15.9"w x 10.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
Frank C. Leavitt built his business block in 1901 to replace the earlier Leavitt Block destroyed by fire in 1899. Mr. Leavitt's Business interests covered a wide field. He sold coal as the sign above the second story indicates. He owned the Sanford Pharmacy on the ground floor, was the agent for York County for Studebaker automobiles, and at one time ran a hack and delivery business. Motion pictures were first shown in Sanford in 1908 in the hall on the fourth floor in this building. The venture was so popular that Mr. Leavitt soon converted one of his two Main Street stores into a movie house which he called the Theatre Comique. In 1910 he built the 1,300 seat Leavitt Theatre to replace Theatre Comique. The fourth floor of the Leavitt block, which housed a dance hall and billiard rooms, was damaged by fire early in 1973 and removed in April of that year.Show Details