Item 14569 - View from Maine General Hospital, 1926
- Item 14569 - View from Maine General Hospital, 1926
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 14569
- 4443px x 3458px - 14.8"w x 11.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
This birds-eye view of Portland was taken in 1926 from the roof of Maine General Hospital on Bramhall Street.Show Details
The large building in the center of the photograph is the Alida Leese Nurses' Home. It was built in 1902 to house nursing students at the Maine General Hospital Training School for Nurses.
The building was razed in 1965 to make way for the new Centennial (later Richards) Wing
The hospital was opened in 1874, the first general hospital in the state. In 1951, MGH merged with the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary and Children's Hospital. The new complex was named Maine Medical Center.