- Item 13618 - Houlton Water Company stand pipe, 1882
- Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
- Item 13618
- 2898px x 5003px - 9.7"w x 16.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
Houlton Water Company stand pipe on High Street.Show Details
The stand pipe was located on the hill on High street. A foundation of brick 20 feet in diameter and 10 feet high was set in place to serve as a base. The stand pipe was then erected upon the base. The pipe was 20 feet in diameter and 50 feet high with a capacity of 117,500 gallons.
When full, the standpipe enabled a pressure of 55 pounds per square inch to be maintained a the pumping station.
Houlton Water Company was founded in 1882, Walter Mansur was its first president.