- Item 13617 - Liberty Hall, Houlton, ca. 1880
- Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
- Item 13617
- 5048px x 2840px - 16.8"w x 9.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
Because they needed a centrally located school, the citizens of Houlton purchased a lot across from the jail on the corner of what is, as of 2017, School and Military Streets. They built a long wooden two story building and named it “Liberty Hall”.Show Details
The first floor was the school house. The community used the second story for patriotic meetings, community meetings, dances, speaking contests, and old fashioned spelling bees.
Liberty Hall was moved in 1897 to Union Square to make room for the brick building which stands there as of 2017. Liberty Hall was destroyed by fire 1956.