- Item 13024 - Cleeve-Tucker Memorial, Eastern Promenade, Portland, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 13024
- 4527px x 3136px - 15.1"w x 10.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
This monument honors George Cleeve, the founder of Portland. Cleeve, his partner Richard Tucker, and their families landed in a boat at the foot of what is now India Street in 1633.Show Details
It was the first public monument ever erected in Portland. Each side features one of the names that Portland Neck has been known by: Machigonne, Casco, Falmouth and Portland.
The monument was unveiled during a celebration on July 4, 1883.