- Item 12935 - Purchases on the Kennebec River, 1731
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 12935
- 4923px x 3902px - 16.4"w x 13.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Manuscript map 35 entitled, "A Draught of the Purchases on the River Kennebeck Navigable for small Vessells-1731."Show Details
On the back of the map is written, "A Map of part of Kennebeck River discribing the Plymouth Purchse Jan. 30th 1629."
Map includes areas around Merrymeeting Bay north along the river to the Cobbosseconte River: Richmond north to Augusta. Two garrisons are pictured, the southerly one in Richmond, and the one called "Cushena-formerly a Garrison" was in Augusta.
The map also refers to "Clark & Lake's" land purchases in 1649 and 1653 (Maj. Thomas Clark and Captain Thomas Lake), and the 1629 purchase by "Bradford & Associates" (William Bradford, Governor of the Plymouth Colony.)