Item 12545 - Armory, Portland, 1898
- Item 12545 - Armory, Portland, 1898
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 12545
- 7788px x 5445px - 26.0"w x 18.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Armory on Middle Street in Portland, March 1898.Show Details
The Armory was built in 1895 and was used for drill purposes by the many National Guard units that were headquartered there.
The building also served as a civic auditorium.
The Guard vacated the building in 1941, but it was used to house military personnel who were in Portland temporarily. The Navy used the building during World War II as a recreation center.