- Item 12048 - Portland Airport, 1957
- Contributed by City of Portland Dept. of Public Works
- Item 12048
- 4287px x 3377px - 14.3"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of City of Portland Dept. of Public Works
The Portland Airport, later known as the Portland Jetport, is shown as it looked in 1957.Show Details
The airport began in the 1920s when Dr. Clifford "Kip" Strange created a runway on his property for his own plane. Boston & Maine Airways began flying to Portland in 1934 and the city bought the airfield in 1936 and built a third runway.
The Works Progress Administration built a terminal in 1940. During World War II, the airport was used by the military. After the war, civilian use resumed and the main runway was built. A new terminal building and jets arrived in 1968.