- Item 11873 - Augusta House, Augusta, ca. 1912
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 11873
- 4723px x 3041px - 15.7"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
A postcard of the Augusta House in Maine's capital city has a postmark 1912. The postcard is addressed to Mrs. Daniel Nutter of Palermo.Show Details
The original Augusta House was built in 1831 to accommodate needs relating to the capital moving to Augusta from Portland in 1832. It was renovated several times. Maj. Harrison Baker bought it in 1854 and renovated it, then sold it when "first-class" housing was needed in the city during the Civil War.
Baker leased it and operated it. Funds for the renovations came from the city of Augusta and individuals.