- Item 1059 - East Machias, 1894
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 1059
- 6525px x 2112px - 21.8"w x 7.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Town "portrait and landscape photographer" John H. Wooster took this panoramic view of East Machias in the spring of 1894.Show Details
The town boasted Washington Academy (founded 1823), Congregational, Methodist and Baptist meeting houses, Sandborn's Tavern (a stop on the still active stage line) as well as saw mills, grist mills and shipyards. In spite of its neat appearance, the population had fallen to 1,637, down from 2,179 at the commencement of the Civil War. Wooster had his studio in the town from about 1889 into the 20th century.