Item 105539 - Vaughan Hall/McGeachey Hall at Maine Medical Center, Portland, 1980

Item 105539 - Vaughan Hall/McGeachey Hall at Maine Medical Center, Portland, 1980
Contributed by Maine Medical Center Archives
Item 105539
Vaughan Hall/McGeachey Hall at Maine Medical Center, Portland, 1980
Zoom
3300px x 4381px - 11.0"w x 14.6"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Medical Center Archives
Image Info

Vaugan Hall, located at 216 Vaughan Street was purchased in 1939 for a nurses' residence. The house served 112 students who took classes on Chadwick Street, formerly used by the Medical School of Maine.

At the end of the third year of training, each graduate wore a cap featuring a black band that identified them as graduates of the Maine General Hospital School of Nursing.

In 1981, outpatient and children's psychiatric services were relocated the building was renamed McGeachey Hall. Edward McGeachey, who wore many hats at Maine Medical Center, had served as director of both Social Services and the Outpatient Department.

Show Details