- Item 105299 - The Tannery, New Limerick, ca. 1895
- Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
- Item 105299
- 4470px x 3283px - 14.9"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
C. Shaw and Willis Shaw, two brothers from Dexter, first built a saw mill in New Limerick so they had the materials to build their tannery. The plant was finished in the spring of 1875.Show Details
Around the Tannery a small community grew including a boarding home for employees. The plant produced 750 to 1000 tons of finished leather annually, and in 1896 they added a spur track to the plant by the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad. The plant used tons of Hemlock bark annually in the tanning process.