- Item 105120 - The last ferry under construction, Westport Island, 1938
- Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
- Item 105120
- 4592px x 3113px - 15.3"w x 10.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Westport Island History Committee
Charles E. Colby (1861-1939), carpenter, farmer, and portable saw mill owner, built Westport's last ferry which operated until 1950 when a causeway opened.Show Details
The cable ferry service connected Westport to Wiscasset for 47 years. The original ferry, or scow, was replaced or rebuilt in 1919; Colby's scow built in the 1930's was the final replacement.