- Item 10502 - King Tavern and Customs House, Bath, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Patten Free Library
- Item 10502
- 2240px x 1478px - 7.5"w x 4.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Patten Free Library
This postcard shows the Federal Building and the King Tavern at Front and Vine Streets, Bath, circa 1910.Show Details
Originally, the King Tavern building was the residence of William King, Maine's first governor. After King's death in 1852, the building was moved to its Vine Street location to make room for the Federal Building, which was completed in 1858.
King's former residence served as a tavern and hotel under a variety of names until destroyed in 1926. It was known as the King Tavern from 1910-1926.
In 1926, the building was torn down to provide space for the Vine Street approach to the Carlton Bridge.