- Item 104168 - Charles Bryant and George Mackay, Millinocket, 1904
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 104168
- 3653px x 3069px - 12.2"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The highly respected medical doctor of Millinocket, Charles Sawyer Bryant (b. 1873) with his friend George W. Mackay (b. 1876) a local dentist. They are pictured along two other men and Bryant's father, George S. Bryant, at the far right. Mackay is sitting to the far left; Bryant is directly to the right of him.Show Details
Dr. C.S. Bryant graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1900, and in 1920 opened a private hospital in Millincoket, which included a fully equipped operating room and seven hospital beds. He served in the United States Army Medical Corps and was a captain in a field hospital. When Dr. Bryant left Millinocket to join WWI, residents gathered to wish him a safe return and the fathers of the town presented him with a watch as a gift. He was also a deacon in his local congregation.
Mackay was considered an astounding dentist in the area, and graduated from Baltimore Medical School in 1900, before relocating to Millinocket. He opened his practice first at the Windsor Hotel, but towards the end of his career, he operated from his home. He served as a dentist in the town for 62 years.