- Item 104165 - Millinocket High School girls basketball team, 1906
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 104165
- 2934px x 2140px - 9.8"w x 7.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Millinocket High School was constructed in 1902 as a wooden building at the end of Central street, on the west side of Katahdin Avenue, now the present day (2018) Katahdin Avenue School.Show Details
The first principal, George W. Snow, graduated two students in the school's first three years, however in 1905, eight students graduated including Alvernon Adams. Alvernon's interest in sports inspired him and four of his classmates to chip in their money and purchase a basketball and nets for the school.
By 1906 a new school building was needed, and the following year the Oxford Street school was opened.