- Item 103992 - 5th Infantry Drill Squad performing at Keith's Theater, Portland, 1927
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 103992
- 4490px x 3430px - 15.0"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The Keith Theater opened in 1908 on Preble Street. The owner of the theater, B.F. Keith, also owned theaters in Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Providence, Cleveland and Columbus. The theater was very modern as second-run films, vaudeville acts, and stage productions were shown there. In 1939, the stage changed owners and it was renamed the Civic. The Civic operated until 1963, and the building was torn down in 1965.Show Details