- Item 103970 - Soldiers firing breechloading rifle at Battery Blair, Cape Elizabeth, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 103970
- 4298px x 3425px - 14.3"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Battery Blair, built in 1903 at Fort Williams, was named in honor of Civil War General Francis P. Blair. The battery was equipped with two breechloading rifles that each fired a 12-inch diameter, 1070-pound shell up to eight miles.Show Details
The gun was last test fired on the day after the attack at Pearl Harbor, resulting in serious structural damage to the battery.