- Item 103634 - Delrey's Restaurant, Portland, 1934
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 103634
- 4268px x 3407px - 14.2"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Delrey's Restaurant was located at 102 Preble Street from its opening in 1934 until it changed owners and name to Conley's Grill in 1940. This picture is notable for the beer logos on the windows. Prohibition ended in 1933 when 36 states ratified the 21st amendment, repealing the 18th amendment. Maine first allowed the sale of 3.2% alcohol beer on July 1st 1933. Delrey's opened the following year and offered thirsty customers a variety of regional and national beers.Show Details
Maine was the first state to pass a prohibition law in 1851. It was repealed in 1856 after the Portland Rum Riot.