- Item 103572 - Achorn Brothers store, Coopers Mills, Whitefield, ca. 1908
- Contributed by Whitefield Historical Society
- Item 103572
- 4661px x 3251px - 15.5"w x 10.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Whitefield Historical Society
Sarah A. Weeks (1875-1962), daughter of William M. and Eltheir Achorn, wrote on the back of this postcard: "This is good it was a grand store - The pidgeons (sic) are no more. They use to bother as they would follow walk to store door, where grain would drop out of bags - but lovely birds."Show Details
William Achorn (1836-1920) and his brother Charles (1847-1918) owned the Achorn Bros. store from 1897 to 1920, though William had owned the store since 1879.
Lined up in front of the store were Horace T. Weeks (1872-1928) and wife Sarah Achorn (1875-1962); Charles F. Achorn (owner); Miss Charlotte Abramson who is standing with Herbert Weeks (1866-1934); William M. Achorn (owner) with granddaughter Ellen Achorn Smith (Weiblen) (1902-1987) and Ellen's mother Ina Achorn Smith (1872-1942); and an unknown woman.
In addition to groceries and grain, Achorn Bros. carried brooms, firkins, baskets, and scales, (all visible on the stoop), and hardware items such as nails, oil, paint, stove pipe, and tree pruners.