- Item 103367 - Charles F. Achorn house, Coopers Mills, Whitefield, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Whitefield Historical Society
- Item 103367
- 4789px x 3121px - 16.0"w x 10.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Whitefield Historical Society
Charles F. Achorn was listed in the "Maine Register" as having a hotel from 1884-1913 except for the years 1890-91 and 1910-11. From 1892-1909 his business was named "Achorn's Hotel". Interestingly, the title on the front of this postcard shows a very faint "Hotel" that had been erased. Charles’ house and the hotel were the same building. When Alson B. Folsom sold his house at 89 Main Street to Charles F. Achorn in September 1882, the deed described his tract of land “with the buildings thereon, known as the Folsom Tavern Stand”.Show Details
In addition to operating a hotel, Charles was a co-owner of the Achorn Bros. store for two decades; owned a grist mill for three years; was a horse and cattle dealer for 25 years; a selectman two years; and a telephone agent from 1899-1905.