- Item 103347 - Achorn Complex, Coopers Mills, Whitefield, ca. 1906
- Contributed by Whitefield Historical Society
- Item 103347
- 4732px x 3050px - 15.8"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Whitefield Historical Society
Charles F. Achorn (1847-1918) owned the large house with ell on the right of this image. This house at 89 Main Street was the beginning of the Achorn family complex, which extended to the Sheepscot River. It included the white house next door owned by Charles's brother William M. Achorn (1836-1920), the Achorn Bros. store, and the grist mill. William operated the store for forty years until 1920; brother Charles joined him around 1897.Show Details
William and Charles acquired the grist mill building (tall dark building, middle background) during the mid 1880s, and then William was the sole owner from around 1888-1901. Charles Brann, Frank Fletcher, and Rufus Colby each owned the grist mill for a year or two, and in 1906 the mill is mentioned for the last time in the "Maine Register."
William's daughter, Sarah Achorn Weeks, and her husband Horace owned the H. T. Weeks & Co. store, the two-tone building across Main Street in the early 1900s.