- Item 103294 - Church of the Good Shepherd and rectory, Houlton, ca. 1903
- Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
- Item 103294
- 4295px x 3428px - 14.3"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
The Episcopal church, as of 2017, is the oldest standing church edifice in Houlton. The construction of the rectory was started in October of 1884 and the church construction in June of 1885.Show Details
Captain John Blake, chaplain at Hancock Barracks, conducted services in homes and public buildings for both the soldiers at the garrison and people of the town.
In 1846 Blake transferred to the U.S. Navy but must have held Houlton dear in his heart for at the time of his death in 1893 he left the sum of 20,000 dollars which resulted in the construction of these two buildings.