- Item 102069 - Early map of Lewiston, Auburn and Minot, 1820
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 102069
- 8520px x 3966px - 28.4"w x 13.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
This map depicts the area surrounding the intersection of the Androscoggin River (referred to on the map as the "Great River Androscoggen) and the Little Androscoggin River and the offshoot of Tailor Brook. To the north, it shows the "Great Falls" of Lewiston. The cartographer also shows various farms and houses, including the notable Crocket Farm to the south of the river split.Show Details
This outlined region, marked as parts of Lewiston, Auburn (referred to as Danville) and Minot, was part of the greater settlement of Bakerstown (modern day Brunswick, Harpswell, Auburn, Lewiston, Durham, Minot, Poland and Mechanic Falls).
The southwestern area of this map, referred to as Danville, reads "Part of Great Lot No. 8 of Pejepscot Claim." This region of Maine was settled under the Pejepscot Proprietors, aslo known as the Pejepscot Company, a land holding conglomerate responsible for Bakerstown. The group was formed in 1714 following the encouragement to settle the "eastern country" by the Massachusetts General Court.