Item 101869 - Wentworth Homestead, South Berwick, ca. 1900
- Item 101869 - Wentworth Homestead, South Berwick, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Old Berwick Historical Society
- Item 101869
- 4800px x 3384px - 16.0"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Old Berwick Historical Society
Sewall Road from Main Street has hardly changed since the 1800s, when maps identified it as School Street. A one-room schoolhouse stood at right out of view, and served children living in District #4, until the construction of South Berwick Central School on Main Street in 1925.Show Details
In 1927 the town renamed the road Sewall Road, after the family living in the house at the top of the hill at right. Helen D. Sewall died on her 77th birthday in 1922. Jotham Sewall died on his 85th birthday in 1932. His sister, Jane Sewall, lived to be about 100 and held the Boston Post Cane as the town's oldest resident.
The house at left was built by Charles Wentworth. In the 1950s the Wentworth family donated it to Berwick Academy to be used as the headmaster's residence.
Behind the Wentworth house, at the top of the hill at left, was the parsonage of the First Baptist Church on Main Street.