- Item 10179 - Sisters of the Holy Rosary Convent, Frenchville, ca. 1950
- Contributed by Ste. Agathe Historical Society
- Item 10179
- 4336px x 3375px - 14.5"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Ste. Agathe Historical Society
Le couvent bati en 1899 par Pere Charles Sweron a ete incendie en septembre 1905.It a ete remplace par celui-ci qui fut demolie en 1964 apres la construction du nouveau couvent.Show Details
The convent of the Sisters of the Holy Rosary was built in 1899 under the leadership of Rev. Father Charles Sweron. It burned in September of 1905.
It was replaced by this convent that was demolished in 1964 after a new convent was built. The convent exists today and is now used as the Christian Life Center located in Frenchville.
Rev. Charles Sweron, pastor of Ste-Luce (1860-1908) in 1899 appealed to the Congreation of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in Rimouski, Quebec, Canada for teaching nuns. Three Sisters of the Holy Rosary community arrived in Frenchville on August 19, 1899. On September 4, 1899, classes began and by November 30, 1899 there were 74 students in the school.
The Congregation of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary was founded in 1874 at Rimouski, Quebec, Canada.