- Item 101225 - Republican Wigwam, Bangor, 1872
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society and Maine State Museum
- Item 101225
- 3189px x 4444px - 10.6"w x 14.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society and Maine State Museum
In August 1872, John Martin (1823-1904), a Bangor accountant, shopkeeper, and Republican supporter, drew the "Republican Wigwam," a temporary building that was located at the corner of Hammond and Columbia streets in Bangor.Show Details
The building was constructed for campaign purposes to hold 1,200 people, standing.
The illustration, which includes the headquarters of the Young Mens Grant & Wilson Club and four men marching and singing, is on page 115 of Martin's "Scrap Book no 3," one of five volumes he wrote and illustrated reflecting on his life and times and commenting on events in the Bangor area.
Martin wrote on the top left of the illustration, "taken down and removed nov 16th, 17, 18, 19, 20 1872 by A. H. Beckmore the joiner."
The marchers song is "Hurrah!! Hurrah!!
Whora, Whora, we will sing the jubilee.
Whora Whora the flag that makes us free,
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the Sea
While were were marching through Georgia."