- Item 100772 - Hampden, Upper and Lower corners, 1835
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society and Maine State Museum
- Item 100772
- 3060px x 5169px - 10.2"w x 17.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society and Maine State Museum
John Martin (1823-1904) of Bangor began writing a journal to record his life experiences in 1864. He included a number of detailed illustrations, including this one of the Upper and Lower corners of Hampden, where he lived while he was a child.Show Details
The illustration appears on page 94 of his journal. On the following two pages, he detailed the shop, church, or other business, or resident of each building on his map. The area is as it existed in the 1830s.
Martin described himself as an "expert accountant." He wrote the journal, three scrapbooks, and an account of his activities as a dance student and dance master for his wife and children, so they would know more about his life and activities.