Item 100401 - Winthrop Street Looking West from State Street, Augusta, ca. 1910
- Item 100401 - Winthrop Street Looking West from State Street, Augusta, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Lithgow Public Library
- Item 100401
- 4697px x 3113px - 15.7"w x 10.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Lithgow Public Library
A view up Winthrop Street from State Street (both unpaved), with Lithgow Library on the right and St. Mark's Home for Women beyond.Show Details
St. Mark's Home for Women opened in 1870, when Allan Lambard, the grandson of Ephraim and Martha Ballard of Hallowell, donated the building.
In its early years, St. Mark's Episcopal Church managed the home and provided residential living for homeless women. In more recent years, it has served as a residential facility for women of all faiths. Due to low residency, it closed in 2014.