- Item 100377 - Entrance to Fort Williams Park, Cape Elizabeth, ca. 1905
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 100377
- 4368px x 2808px - 14.6"w x 9.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Fort Williams was commissioned in 1899, replacing the sub-post of Fort Preble. President McKinley named the fort in honor of Brevet Major General Seth Williams (1822-1866), an Augusta native who served in the Mexican-American War and the Civil War.Show Details
Fort Williams operated as the headquarters for harbor defense of Portland during World War II, and housed Army Reserves units until it closed in 1962. Fort Williams was repurposed as a 90-acre city park that includes Portland Head Light, Maine's oldest lighthouse.