- Item 100145 - View southeast from top of Custom House, Rockland, ca. 1875
- Contributed by Rockland Historical Society
- Item 100145
- 4827px x 3048px - 16.1"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Rockland Historical Society
This is a view looking southeast from the roof of the Custom House in Rockland. The street in the foreground is School Street and the tall building with the Mansard roof on the far left is the Pillsbury Block.Show Details
The white frame house next to the Pillsbury Block on School Street belonged to Captain Henry Verrill. Directly behind Captain Verrill's house one can see a tall tower used by the fire department on Spring Street to dry hoses.
Running parallel to the harbor are the roofs of buildings along Main Street, including the many arched windows of the Ulmer Block. Projecting into the harbor are Atlantic Wharf in the distance and Owls Head on the horizon.