- Item 27600 - Quoddy Tidal Power Project dam, Lubec, ca. 1937
- Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
- Item 27600
- 4860px x 2942px - 16.2"w x 9.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
Long discussed and planned as a harness to the great Bay of Fundy tides for generating electricity, construction began during the Franklin Roosevelt administration as a public works project.Show Details
Of a planned series of dams in Passamaquoddy Bay, only two were built before Congress shut off funds for the project in 1937. One dam connected Moose Island to the mainland in Eastport, later carrying highway 190.
The other connected Treat Island (part of the City of Eastport) and Dudley Island (part of the Town of Lubec). This photo shows the new dam with Lubec village in the background.The 73-acre Treat or Treat's Island was purchased by the Maine Coastal Heritage Trust in 2009.